Today's cars, light trucks, and sport-utility vehicles are high-tech marvels with digital dashboards, oxygen sensors, electronic computers, unibody construction, and more. They run better, longer, and more efficiently than models of years past.
But when it comes to repairs, some things stay the same. The following tips should help you along the way:
Do your homework before taking your vehicle in for repairs or service.
- Read the owner's manual to learn about the vehicle's systems and components.
- Follow the recommended service schedules.
- Keep a log of all repairs and service.
When you think about it, you know your car better than anyone else. You drive it every day and know how it feels and sounds when everything is right. So don't ignore its warning signals.
Use all of your senses to inspect your car frequently. Check for:
- Unusual sounds, odors, drips, leaks, smoke, warning lights, gauge readings.
- Changes in acceleration, engine performance, gas mileage, fluid levels.
- Worn tires, belts, hoses.
- Problems in handling, braking, steering, vibrations.
- Note when the problem occurs.
- Is it constant or periodic?
- When the vehicle is cold or after the engine has warmed up?
- At all speeds? Only under acceleration? During braking? When shifting?
- When did the problem first start?
Once you are at our location, communicate your findings.
- Be prepared to describe the symptoms.
- Carry a written list of the symptoms that you can give us.
- Resist the temptation to suggest a specific course of repair. Just as you would with your physician, tell us where it hurts and how long it's been that way, but let the technician diagnose and recommend a remedy.
Stay involved. . . Ask questions.
- Ask as many questions as needed to fully understand your repair. Ask for laymen terms if needed.
- Don't rush the technician to make an on-the-spot diagnosis. You may ask to be called and apprised of the problem, course of action, and costs before work begins.
- Before you leave, be sure you understand all shop policies regarding labor rates, guarantees, and acceptable methods of payment.
- Leave a telephone number where you can be called.
What People Say About Us
I took my 1968 Cadillac Deville to Franklin auto for repairs and I was serviced by the general manager Josh. Josh took good care of me and my car. It's good to know we have a good and trustworthy auto service mechanic in the neighborhood. Josh keep me posted on everything being done.
I would recommend Franklin Auto Service to everyone! They run their business/service on integrity, honesty, great customer service, great car service, and their prices are fair! Give them a try, you will not be disappointed.
I’ve never been to an auto shop before but I am very happy I chose to go to this one. My car got towed there around 4pm and Josh at the front counter was super respectful and nice and explained everything very well. It was fixed and ready to drive home in less than 24 hours! I’m very pleased with this mechanic and will definitely be back.
Great little shop! I had an alignment done on my 335xi. They were quick and responsive to my questions.
Despite the circumstances I was able to find this shop out of luck when my car messed up. From the beginning Josh was helpful and explained to me everything that was wrong and what needed to be done. Not a lot of people are that clear and honest with you. I’m very happy to have found this gem and if my car is ever in any unfortunate situation again I know where to go! Thank you guys so much
This is a nice gem of a shop, right in the heart of downtown Franklin, conveniently located for those in Bloomfield Township and the surrounding area. I was looking for a trustworthy independent mechanic and came here to have a repair done. It was all taken care of at a reasonable price. Then a few months later an issue arose that took me back into the shop. After discussing the issue with Josh, Pam, and Darryl we figured out the issue and they totally took care of the situation. They went above and beyond what others might have done, and were friendly and professional throughout. Great to know there are still folks out there who stand behind their operations and take care of their customers.